Nicole Ross

Life Long Learner

Standard 5

Educators implement effective planning, instruction, assessment and reporting practices to create respectful, inclusive environments for student learning and development.

During my practicum I taught lessons about the literary device conflict. I used multiple strategies to teach these lessons to reach out to all types of learners. When introducing conflict I created a poster with three types of conflict. On the poster I used pictures, descriptions of the type of conflict, and examples from popular books and movies such as Harry Potter and The Hunger Games. I then placed students into groups for a group brainstorm and assigned them a type of conflict. Students wrote down as many examples that they could think of where they had see that type of conflict in books, movies, television shows, and video games. After words we discussed as a class. Later on, I printed out scenarios and placed them on the desk. Students worked in partners and walked around the classroom, reading the scenarios and and writing down what type of conflict they had read in the scenario. Next, I gave students an exit ticket asking students which type of conflict was the easiest for them to recognize, why? And which type of conflict was the hardest for them to recognize, why? All students said that man vs. man was the hardest to recognize and the class was split between man vs. self and man vs. world being the hardest. I took this assessment and shaped my next lesson with it. I left out man vs. man and designed a lesson where students worked in groups while watching popular movie clips and identifying the two types of conflict. Students represented their final conflict learning with a booklet. They choose three types of conflict from their war themed novel study book and wrote about the three types of conflict.

© 2024 Nicole Ross